Topic Options
#41692 - 05/27/14 12:49 PM Cheques Voided by mistake
joshuag Offline
Casual

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I have a new A/P clerk and recently after a batch of cheques was done, she accidently clicked on that cheques were not printed correctly and then ran the cheques again and printed the cheques again with new numbers on paper. So now all of the cheques that were printed correctly, originally, are clearing the bank account, and duplicate cheque numbers are starting to happen with the cheques that were printed on paper instead of our cheque stock. Normally I know I could use a back-up and do that, but I didn't find out about the error till today and it was done back on May 14th. The cheques haven't been posted to ledger yet. Just wondering what I can do.

Thanks,

#41706 - 05/28/14 05:10 PM Re: Cheques Voided by mistake [Re: joshuag]
Brian Stief Offline
Waterloo Guy

Loc: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Hi
Normally, I would say you are pooched. But there is a way out if you can justify the time.

Backup your AP data.

You can reverse the cheques printed (with the wrong Cheque #) for every cheque printed, and then go back into manual cheques and regenerate each cheque (without printing) for the selected vendor that the cheque was sent out. This means checking the stub details on the first sent out cheq and entering in the vendor and cheque # for the selected invoices that now show up as needing to be paid (because of reversal). How many cheques that are in your cheque run depends on whether you would do with manual cheques.

Alternatively, you could reverse the cheques and immediately do a precheck register (system cheque run) with the same date settings as your May 14th cheque run. It will sort the vendors in the same sequence but may pick up additional vendors and additional invoices (entered since May 14). Then you match up the Cheq stubs to the vendor invoices and toggle off the payment amounts using the Payments Tab included in this fix cheque run so that the precheck register after toggling off, matches exactly to your May 14th cheque run. Fairly easy to do but might suggest someone other than the person that printed the original cheques incorrectly.

If you balance exactly to the same amount and number of vendors, then backup up your AP data again, and select Print and post using the original chq number (from the May 14 run) as the next cheque number. Print the cheques to a file. Do not use more cheque stock paper. You will get a message that this cheque number has already been used but you can ignore it. This process will regenerate the same cheque numbers for the same vendors (in the same order), and generate the required GL entries assuming you put in the same transaction date. You will see a reversed cheque transaction in the AP transaction history for the incorrect printed number, but a corrected number for the sent out cheque. The next time you run a cheque run you will need to reset the next cheque number to next cheque stock paper form available.

If you have already started to clear the cheques in BankRec or in Payables, do not consider either of these suggestions, as you are truly pooched for this situation.

Best,
Brian

#41718 - 05/29/14 07:42 AM Re: Cheques Voided by mistake [Re: Brian Stief]
Douglas Dickie Offline
Adagio God

Loc: Vancouver, BC
Joshua:

To prevent this from happening again, edit Payables Company Profile and disable 'Allow voiding of cheques'.
ddickie@accsyssolutions.com

#41721 - 05/29/14 08:24 AM Re: Cheques Voided by mistake [Re: Douglas Dickie]
joshuag Offline
Casual

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Thanks for your responses!

Brian it was only about 15 cheques it happened with, and we have started to clear any cheques yet, so I think your method should work. Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me.

Douglas if I turn off 'Allow voiding of cheques' will that stop cheques being voided when they are not printed correctly or just the ability to void cheques under the Reconciliation area? As my understanding was that when cheques are not printed correctly they are voided and that is what happened by accident in this situation. As I just want to make sure I fully understand what a void cheque in Adagio means.

Thanks,
Josh

#41724 - 05/29/14 11:07 AM Re: Cheques Voided by mistake [Re: joshuag]
Douglas Dickie Offline
Adagio God

Loc: Vancouver, BC
Joshua:

It stops the ability to manually flag cheques as void during reconciliation. If you print cheques and then indicate that they did not print correctly, those cheques will still be voided.

Edited by Douglas Dickie (05/29/14 11:08 AM)
Edit Reason: clarification
ddickie@accsyssolutions.com

Moderator:  Christa_Meissner 
Who's Online
2 registered (Samuel Kopstick, Lauren Stief), 26 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
1848 Members
5 Forums
14242 Topics
69746 Posts

Max Online: 359 @ 11/18/19 09:08 PM
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18