Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#51326 - 10/21/16 11:28 AM Can a Job be made Inactive?
Samuel Kopstick Offline
Adagio Virtuoso

Loc: GTA & North America (Remote Su...
Job Costing module.
Is it possible to set a Job as INACTIVE?

We would like to "turn off" a Job and not be able to post any further transactions to the Job (from Invoices, AP or JC).
However, we may need to re-activate the Job at a later date, which explains why we do not want to remove the Job from the list.

#51328 - 10/21/16 01:10 PM Re: Can a Job be made Inactive? [Re: Samuel Kopstick]
Steve Schwartz Offline
Adagio God

Loc: Wynnewood, PA
Hi Sam

Close the Job. You can always re-open it.

However, closing a job has accounting implications if the "Simple cost tracking job" is unchecked. It is strongly recommended (by me) that that box always be checked, unless the Revenue Recognition needs to be Completed Contract.

Steve

#51329 - 10/21/16 01:27 PM Re: Can a Job be made Inactive? [Re: Steve Schwartz]
Samuel Kopstick Offline
Adagio Virtuoso

I close a Job, and within the JC module it is indeed closed.

But, Adagio still allows users to enter an Invoice in AP (for example) and to refer to the closed Job. We post the Invoice within AP and there are no errors reported. AP thinks everything is OK.

It is only when I retrieve the AP transactions into JC and try to post the Cost batch, that is when I receive an error message "Job ABC123 is closed."

Is there no way to ensure that once a Job is closed, that Adagio will prevent users from making entries to the closed Job in other modules as well?

#51330 - 10/21/16 01:37 PM Re: Can a Job be made Inactive? [Re: Samuel Kopstick]
Softrak Support Offline

Adagio Action Team

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada
Hi, Samuel,

Are they archiving the closed jobs as well?

#51331 - 10/21/16 01:57 PM Re: Can a Job be made Inactive? [Re: Softrak Support]
Samuel Kopstick Offline
Adagio Virtuoso

They could Archive the Job if this will help us.

However, they do not want to Archive the Job and then delete it from the main Job screen. We could do this, and we could get the Job back from the Archive at a later date.

But we setup a number of sophisticated reports in MS-Access, using Adagio ODBC. These reports look to the master Jobs table and if we delete an inactive job, we will not be able to get the reports. The client still wants to report on & view Jobs that are closed/inactive.

#51332 - 10/21/16 02:20 PM Re: Can a Job be made Inactive? [Re: Samuel Kopstick]
Steve Schwartz Offline
Adagio God

I agree with Sam that having to send a Job to Archive is an awful way of handling this.

What is missing is an option in Payables Profile | Integration similar to the option in Receivables that asks "Validate closed periods" only it would say "Validate closed jobs" and be in the JobCost section. The possible answers would be (just like in Receivables) "Allow", "Warn only", "Disallow".

I'm assuming the new release of Payables will have the "Validate closed periods" option, but if it doesn't that is really a necessity.

Steve

#51333 - 10/21/16 02:25 PM Re: Can a Job be made Inactive? [Re: Steve Schwartz]
Samuel Kopstick Offline
Adagio Virtuoso

Or, to have an Active (Y/N) checkbox.
If a Job is Inactive, you should not be able to use it in any transaction in any module.

#51334 - 10/21/16 02:49 PM Re: Can a Job be made Inactive? [Re: Samuel Kopstick]
Softrak Support Offline

Adagio Action Team

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada
Hi, Steve/Samuel,

If that's the case, then what I'd do is, before closing the job, add an alert to it and make sure Alerts are enabled. Something like, 'This job is closed. DO NOT post to it' and also enable the option that requires the user to enter their Adagio userID to confirm they've read it.

This is the sort of thing Alerts were created for. And, it's nice because you can decide what modules and aspects of those modules you want the Alert to present itself in.

#51335 - 10/21/16 03:59 PM Re: Can a Job be made Inactive? [Re: Steve Schwartz]
Retired_Guy Offline
Adagio Master

Loc: Canada
Hi Steve,

Just a note that the validation of closed gl periods has been in Payables for some time.

#51338 - 10/22/16 04:45 PM Re: Can a Job be made Inactive? [Re: Retired_Guy]
Steve Schwartz Offline
Adagio God

Andrew: Where? In Receivables it's on the Integration tab right below the "User defined format" line.

Tech Support: I don't think that this is a good use for Alerts, although I am a big fan of Alerts for the exact reasons you mentioned. But those reasons don't apply here. There is a better case for Sam's suggestion to add an active/inactive option such as exists in other modules. Consistency across modules is always preferable. This is one of many instances where JobCost is inconsistent, and I think Softrak should synch it with the rest of the product line to the extent possible.

Steve

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Christa_Meissner 
Who's Online
1 registered (Bruce Gardner), 38 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
1848 Members
5 Forums
14242 Topics
69746 Posts

Max Online: 359 @ 11/18/19 09:08 PM
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18